Thursday, August 26, 2021

Lane Change

Late night in a Central Valley
California city, where farm air
sniffs neon. Blacktop, moist after
rain, gleams. Phosphorescent lamps
and traffic signals hang in cheery
gloom. Everybody's left the party.

I drift the silver-green Chevy
over to a lane for 
       LEFT OR U TURN ONLY and
stop.

A Ford rolls up in another lane,
obeys a red light, engine grumbling
in that Ford way. (This happened
long ago, when people befriended cars
and trucks.) I see the mouth

of the driver, a young woman, singing
the song my radio's singing. (We used
car radios then.) She turns her head
and, singing, smiles through two windows,
turns back and sees
        GREEN
and off with an automatic-transmission
(such things mattered then)
start goes her gunned Mustang
(me in my Camaro), wheels spitting
water and grit--gone. Just gone. Now
I sing the song. It liked her 
better. I murder it. The

         RED
light winks into a green arrow.
How lovely, an Imagist poem. 
Awake, the Camaro lurches,
goes through engine-crescendos
as I manage gas pedal brake pedal
clutch pedal stick-shift steering & a certain
sad projection of Camaro cool . . .

. . . to follow the Ford would have
been just plain wrong. "On a number
of levels," as the academics (I was 
trying to become one) used to say
in that former farm-town that grows
research. Learning her name, hearing
her voice in talk and song, inducing
her laughter--yes, a belly laugh--. . .

not wrong. Not possible. I turn
not around but sufficiently LEFT
as never to see the Ford the woman
again, at least according to my poet's
sense of statistical probability (everyone
but me carried a thick calculator then).

Sad and lonely, I stride from car
to bad buggy bungalow door and say
No not sad and lonely but alive and
the washed air smells fine and I might
have a glass of red wine.


hans ostrom circa 1975/2021



No comments: