Saturday, July 31, 2021

Mountain Saloon

Darkness in daylight and a sweet
whiskey smell said Hey
to six-year-old me when
my Aunt Nevada opened the door

to the Buckhorn saloon. I
registered a glowing brass
pipe running the length
of a dark varnished bar,

down where feet are. 
An altar of bottles--brown,
clear, green--gathered itself
around a long mirror.

An an antlered deer's head
eyed me. Aunt went back
to get broom, bucket, and mop.
She and Uncle owned the bar. 

After dinner, my dad freshly
showered would fall asleep 
in a chair before going to the
second job: pouring drinks

at this place. Tending bar. 
Caves, tombs, hideouts, 
temples, chapels, dens of
equity, harbors, imagined

carnivals of sex and power:
later I'd learn what dark bars
could become--neon glowing
outside, light in darkness. 


hans ostrom 2021

No comments: