Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Last Class

All but one of the twenty students
have left, and now she hands me
her exam. I say thanks,
she says goodbye, I add
"Have a good summer" & she flashes a smile.
She goes, the door closes

on a career (whatever that
is) of teaching college students.

I gather the exams & walk
out of the dreary, pale yellow
classroom, take the stairs
a flight up to my office, sit down,
and take a breath. I've always
.
been awful at alleged Big
Moments, wanting to see them
as just another leaf or twig
floating on Time's stream.

I taught for forty years,
made a living. A crow
visits the ledge outside
my office window. I suspect
crows know everything.

Now I'll go home and cook
dinner for my wife, watch a TV
crime show (British, no doubt),
then go to bed and read. And
read: what led me to this
teaching biz-ness in the first place.
To read, to write, to teach, to care,
breathing that special college air.


hans ostrom 2024
I taught at the University of Puget Sound
for 37 years, also in Sweden & Germany,
and at U.C. Davis

No comments: