Friday, November 2, 2012

The Economy Needs the Poor



“The economy needs the poor,” says
a wee lad  on the precipice of a bachelor
of arts in economics to me. He’s the son
of some remote dickhead CEO in France

One of the brightest students I’ve ever taught,
a Black and Latina woman from
Oakland (she likes the 49ers, I like the
Raiders, we riff on that) says, “The
political science students on campus
are the least culturally competent—
they’re not equipped for this society.”

Today, this month, November 2012,
I think, well, Whiteness will have its
way: cocaine-speed-meth capitalism, fuck-you-
we’re going to fucking war, if you’re a
thinking person, then go fuck yourself,
we will dominate you, we always have,
so suck our illiterate radioactive dicks.
 
Old, I wish to God it would be different
for the thinking young I know.  You don’t
know how much I wish that this were so.

I wish God would empower them.
And then I look at the mainstream shit
they all must countenance, and I think,
“God damn it, the demons have won.
The motherfucking super-rich have won.”


Hans Ostrom, 2012


1 comment:

between-the-lines said...

This shit bugs me every, every day too, especially as I have a brother who's fallen victim to the psychic plague of "libertarianism". He once explained to me quite solemnly that the poor can be viewed as a positive externality, in classical economics terms, because they make richer people feel even better about themselves!

Not everybody sees things that way:

話說天下大勢,分久必合,合久必分

"It is a general truism of this world that anything long divided will surely unite, and anything long united will surely divide"

Oh well, cheers me up anyhow.