Sunday, October 18, 2009

Some Off-Beat Movies

I'm hard-pressed to define what "off-beat" means in figurative terms, so I'll just roll along and say that here are ten of my favorite off-beat movies, in no particular order:

1. Two-Lane Blacktop (w/ James Taylor and Warren Oates)
2.Vanishing Point (w Barry Newman and Cleavon Little)
3. The Las Vegas Story (Victor Mature, with a song and an appearance by Hoagy Carmichael)
4. Slackers
5. The Brother From Another Planet (Joe Morton stars, if memory serves)
6. Harold and Maude
7. Fitzcarraldo (directed by Werner Herzog, starring Klaus Kinski, although Mick Jagger starred originally, but the production lasted too long.
8.Harry and Tonto (Art Carney, with cat; Carney won an Oscar)
9. My Life As A Dog (Swedish)
10. Sullivan's Travels (written by Preston
Sturges)


I will add only that I saw Cleavon Little play opposite Jackie Gleason in a stage-version of Sly Fox in San Francisco, in the late 1970s. It was great to watch two fine professional actors, with perfect timing.

No comments: