Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sunday's Villanelle

A Little Something That Refrains


Let's write a little something that refrains
From trying to be more than poetry.
The language moving in a poem obtains.

For language is an actor, plays and feigns,
And hopes we'll see what it wants us to see.
Let's write a little something that refrains

Itself in lyric and won't grab for gains,
But is content simply to seem and be
The language, moving. In a poem, "obtains"

Can take an object or refuse. The lanes
Of speech form labyrinths. Let's drink some tea.
Let's write a little. Something that refrains

Might well refresh. The mind's eye strains
Relentlessly, desires profundity.
The language moving in a poem obtains:

It's there like creeks and rivulets from rains.
Word-lovers lap up language happily.
Let's write a little something that refrains.
The language moving in a poem obtains.


Copyright 2009 Hans Ostrom

2 comments:

Minerva said...

I almost picked the villanelle for last week's challenge. I think after this week (I'll do found poetry) I'll tackle that one.

I like this one, btw. :)

Lindsay said...

A wonderful poem! My favorite line is the "won't play for gains"; favorite stanza is the second. I guess it would let me comment all along I was just thrown off by the "must be approved" comment below.